Heavenly Haweswater

09:25

It's coming to the end of my Easter break here in the Lakes and the suitcases are packed for going back to Oxford on Wednesday. Although I can't wait to get stuck into the final term of my first year, (!) I'm feeling more than a little sad that I have to say goodbye to my beautiful home for another 8 weeks.


Growing up in a family of keen walkers, it was only natural that I spent most of my vacation exploring the countryside and clocking up the miles in my walking guides. I feel very blessed to be living in such a beautiful location and the adventurer in me wishes I could spend the whole year here, covering as much ground as I could manage... unfortunately education calls and my degree won't finish itself! 


Anyway, I thought I'd share a walk I did recently as the route and weather were simply gorgeous! I found this walk in the Penrith Ramblers 25th Anniversary walking guide (walk 15) so if you're interested in trying it yourself, I have left a link at the bottom of this post to Amazon where you can purchase the guide. I'd highly recommend it if you're interested in exploring this part of the Lakes as it's fairly inexpensive and includes comprehensive instructions and decent maps to help you along. 

Bampton-Haweswater-Rosgill circular (8.5 miles) 

The walk began in Bampton village just outside the village shop/post office so I parked at the recycling centre and followed the guide through some lovely farmland (complete with flocks of adorable lambs) and over rocky hillside. The guide was unclear in places and I found myself a little concerned after losing the footpath just after Pinnacle Howe and being faced with a vast landscape of sheep paths and no one to ask for help. I stupidly forgot to bring a map but as sheer luck would have it, I spotted a cairn and soon after, Haweswater came into view. After Measand Beck, the route was incredibly easy to follow and had a variety of uphill and downhill stints, beck-side paths, farm tracks, shaded and open landscapes and the occasional waterfall. I stopped for lunch and a quick Instagram mission at Thornthwaite Force before powering on towards Rosgill and back to Bampton. Certainly, a highlight (or horror) of the walk was being chased by a field of rowdy and probably hungry sheep at Rawhead in Swindale, thankfully though I made it to the stile before they ransacked my pack-up! 



The reassuring view that I was heading in the right direction!


I find something so calming about the sound of running water and my camera roll is full of pictures of waterfalls, rivers and becks! 


The flat path alongside Haweswater was a welcome rest from the boggy ascent and then descent to Measand Beck!


The result of my Instagram mission! I have an Instagram account solely dedicated to photography and this blog so please check it out if you're interested! (details below) 


If you're ever in the local area and fancy a walk that provides a variety of landscapes and includes a good chunk of the north side of Haweswater, this is a great one to try. On the whole, it's a fairly steady uphill route so I would agree with the guide's rating of 'moderate' and it can get fairly boggy as you near the lake so dress appropriately!

All in all, a lovely day and only a 10 minute drive from home! 

I hope you've had a wonderful Easter break, whatever you've been up to and if you liked this post, please let me know in the comments! I'm super new to this blogging thing and would love a bit of feedback! 


Thanks for reading!


Jade x

********************


You can buy the Penrith Ramblers walking guide here for £9.99 and various other booksellers online. 

I'm also on social media! 

Follow me on Instagram @jade_cormack and @countryandcloud
Follow me on Twitter @jadecormack


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Currently...listening!

Currently...listening!
Click the picture for a link to my Spotify playlist!

Currently...reading!

Currently...reading!
John Ruskin - Praeterita

Subscribe